Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Motivate Me!

How does one stay motivated?  I think it is a little different for everyone!  I swear my Mom is super human; it does not seem like she needs motivation.  She just makes up her mind and BAM it's a permanent habit!  Me, I have to work at it each and every day all day long!  It is a full time job just to keep myself focused.  I have to use multiple approaches to stick with the changes I have made.  I am a list person so here is my list of motivation techniques.


  • Visual Reminders
    • If everywhere you look you find motivation wouldn't you be more likely to stick to it?  I know I would!  I pull out the paper and markers and make reminders for myself.  I use pictures of times when I was happy and looked good to remind me this is possible.  I have sayings posted in places I will see them and it will make me stop and think; the fridge door for example.
  • It's a Lifestyle NOT a Diet
    • When eating healthy it is important for me to not feel deprived.  As soon as something is 'off limits' it is all I think about.  We always want what we can't have!  So instead of 'removing' something, add in the good and eventually it can replace the bad.  I also use 'I can have it but I don't want it.'  Every time I see something sugary/processed I tell this to myself and it works wonders!!  Remember:  I can have it but I don't want it!

  • Constantly Learning
    • Continued learning helps me out a lot.  The more I read about it, the more documentaries I see, the more life changing stories I hear the more I am motivated.  The more that I learn and understand the more informed/better choices I make.  'Hungry for Change' is an excellent movie that inspired me to get healthy; I highly recommend it!
  • List of Benefits
    • Having a tangible list of the benefits to pull out and look at when coworkers bring in donuts (a weakness of mine) helps remind me that it's just not worth it to give in and by resisting I am gaining so much more!
  • Celebrating the Wins
    • I am all about celebrating!  Growing up we had get-togethers' and parties for all sorts of things.  It snowed, let's have a party.  School is out, let's have a party.  Now, every time I pass up dessert, the candy isle or order smart at a restaurant I have a mini party in my head.  Taking a minute to celebrate the wins, big or small, reminds me how awesome I am doing and keeps me pushing toward progress.
  •  Challenges
    • I do really well with small challenges.  Currently I am doing 100 squats/day for 30 days, and it has been totally amazing!  I see the results and I wont miss a day because I don't want to get to the end and say that I didn't do it every day.  I mix up the type of squats I do and vary the number of reps per set to keep it from getting boring.  I challenge you to try it and let me know how it goes!


One of my favorite motivational quotes is by Ellen Mikesell;  'There are only two choices, make progress or make excuses.'  Whenever I try to talk myself into only going 2 miles instead of 3 I ask myself, "Am I making excuses or progress?"  It really works!!  Whatever motivation works for you keep it positive and don't put so much pressure on yourself that if you slip you don't get back up and keep going.  I've done that so many times and it's just not worth it!  Think of the other wins and stick to it!!  Make progress and please share how you stay motivated, I would love to hear it!
Happy Trekking!
daneesha
 

No comments:

Post a Comment